Best camping hatchet in 2020: On a camping trip, it is imperative to carry an axe, because the need for it is a looming certainty. Most of us believe in being ecologically responsible and wouldn’t chop a tree, but to use the dead dried fallen branches and wood, an axe or a hatchet is needed to trim the wood to size.
One needs to make a sound investment in a good quality axe so that nothing in the woods overwhelm you and no log is too stubborn.
But there is a catch, you can’t buy a camping axe impulsively. A poorly crafted camping axe will not just be an expensive encumbrance, it will also be a dead-weight that would likely cause you an injury in the wilderness.
Before making an investment in a good quality camping axe, please analyse the mentioned salient features of the camping axe:
- The material of the camping axe head- Stainless steel is good looking, can withstand corrosion and rust; whereas, carbon steel will have a powerful edge for long and will have a good strike.
- Handle material- Plastic is easy maintenance but low on durability material, wood gives it authenticity, comfort and longevity, but is high maintenance, metal though is both durable and easily maintainable, but carries quite a weight.
- The shape of the head of the camping axe- Choosing a flat head or a curved head would depend on the area you normally camp and the strength of wood there.
We’ve compiled a list of some of the best camping axes in 2020 that deserve your money, effort or time.
7 Best Camping Hatchets in 2020
1. Yes4All Camping Axe with Saw
- HEAVY-DUTY CONSTRUCTION: Specially designed with solid one-piece construction to prevent breaking or cracking after repeated use. Can be used for camping, backpacking, hiking, hunting, outdoor...
- 3. 5-INCH SHARP STAINLESS STEEL BLADE: Made of 420 stainless steel and covered with black paint coating finish for rust-resistance. Ideal for chopping, splitting, carving, and trimming
- ALL – IN – ONE AXE FOR CAMPSITE: This is one of the most sturdy and composite stainless steel head axe, bundled along with a 12-inch saw knife.
- The cutting edge 420 STAINLESS STEEL BLADE: With a blade that is high on durability and striking force, this 3-inch cutting edge is black painted to be corrosive resistant.
- MOULDED PLASTIC CASE + FIRE STARTER: Made up of moulded plastic case that helps with greater protection and comfort of the carriage.
- NON-SLIP, DURABLE, LONGER PLASTIC WRAPPING HANDLE:
True to its name, Yes4All Camping Axe is the solution to most of the camping SOS needs. One of the best quality camping axes, this camping axe is built from premium 420 stainless steel, is robust and versatile. The axe is spray painted in black to be a hindrance to corrosion and rust.
It’s an all-weather camping axe, which has a nylon/plastic handle which gives you a good grip even in wet weather conditions, making it anti-slip and a perfect all-weather axe.
This axe also packs in a saw knife in case you need to saw small woods or peel magnesium sticks to light a fire. The nylon sheath covering this camping axe is stiff and a good barrier to weather conditions that might harm the axe.
To conclude- In case you are looking for a durable- corrosive-resistant, well-built, extremely sharp-edged accompanied by an ergonomic handle axe, this is the best camp axe for you.
2. Fiskars x27 Super Splitting Axe
- Ideal for taller users splitting medium- to large-sized logs
- Designed for maximum efficiency to give you more one-strike splits. Textured non-slip grip reduces hand strain and improves control
- Assembled dimensions: 9-1/4 in. W x 1-3/4 in. D x 37-3/4 in. H
- The wood is disseminated from the blade quite cleanly thanks to the Ultra-sharp blade with a low-friction coating and bevel convex blade geometry.
- Perfected balance and power-to-weight ratio is an engineered piece that enables the multiplication of power to provide swing speed.
- A new and revolutionary shock-absorbing fiberComp handle which carries more strength than traditional steel to prevent overstrikes.
- An ergonomic design which can be used to maximum efficiency for 1-strike splits
Fiskars X27 Splitting Axe is an axe for tall people or someone who prefers using a camping axe with a longer handle. This new handle is innovative and durable enough to last you decades. The shape of the Handle is such that it gives a supportive grip which works really well when there is a need to saw trees, splitting wood, bush crafts or even clearing a trail with a single strike.
With a well-balanced head, the edges are sharp enough to break any log.
To conclude- This is an axe which maximizes efficiency, speed, reduces effort and energies. It is a boon for tall users, is lightweight and well balanced.
3. Gerber Bear Grylls Survival Hatchet
- 3.5" blade for swift, precise cuts + easy portability.
- Full tang, high carbon steel construction for durability.
- 3.5-inch blade for swift, precise cuts
- Full-tang, high carbon steel construction for durability
- Ergonomic, non-slip rubber grip for comfortable, secure handling
- Military-grade, mildew-resistant nylon sheath with belt loops
This camping axe looks straight out of the futuristic tomahawk manual. It looks as if it’s something you’d design for the future, not for felling trees or sawing logs today. But, like every Bear Grylls product, this too is an extremely pragmatic and easy to use a hatchet, that is so versatile it does almost everything, apart from chopping logs.
This is one of the best camping hatchet which is constructed with due diligence of Gerbers experience and Grylls adventure spirit, it is compact, yet sturdy enough to withstand any task of force you throw it to. Equipped with military-grade sheath and belt loops, this is as savvy as they get.
To conclude: It can be a good compact camping axe for most, but the disability to chop wood or have a hammer at its head makes it slightly inconvenient for hard-core campers.
4. Estwing Camper’s Axe – 16″ Hatchet
- Crafted from the highest quality materials
- Built for performance and durability
- Made up of 1-piece forged steel head and handle
- 4 inches cutting edge for fast and efficient chopping
- For better cutting, it has a double-tempered head for added strength
- It has a shock reduction grip
This is another best camping hatchet solely because of its hand-polished, single piece, forged steed head. The sharp cutting edge head can bite into the toughest log with ease. Since the camping axe head and body are forged from a single piece, there is no question of the head coming loose. It is a shock reducer with a genuine leather-covered handle, that is able to absorb around 70% of the shock of the camping axe’s miss-hits.
To conclude- This is an ideal starter axe. For those who prefer both hands and a comfortable grip, this is the best camping axe for its cost-effective benefits.
5. MTECH USA Camping Axe
- Compact, easily portable tactical axe great for camping and rugged outdoor expeditions
- 3-inch satin finished 440 stainless steel blade
- Equipped with a 3-inch satin finished 440 stainless steel blade
- A total of 11-inch length
- Comes with a durable rubber handle with a comfortable grip
- Bundled with a black nylon sheath that protects the blade
This is one of the most lightweight and compact camping axe. This is very safe to store and can be carried covered with a black nylon sheath.
Thanks to the quality of its construction, the compact nature, ergonomic design this is the good camping axe is for those who like simplicity and user-friendliness.
6. Schrade Axe
- DIMENSIONS: 11.8 inch (30 cm) overall length with a blade length of 3.8 inches (9.6 cm) and a weight of 1 lb 6.4 ounces
- DURABLE: Blade is made of reliable 3Cr13 Titanium Coated S.S. with a black, glass fiber filled PA & TPR material and cold resistance flexibilizer handle
- The built is of 11.8 inches total length whereas the length of the blade would be 3.8 inches.
- The blade is crafted with 3cr13 Titanium, which is then coated SS with a black, fibreglass filled PA & TPR material.
- Safe and easy to use as it’s protected by black thermoplastic belt sheath
- One of the pioneers of cold resistance Flexibilizer handle.
- It has a hammer jacket and an extra-large Ferro Rod.
This is a smart axe with a textured rear striking surface that can double up as a hammer. It also has a fire starter which makes camping survival possible.
It is small in size to be comfortable for a hatchet user, but still has the power to do a lot of medium chopping tasks. This titanium covered axe can survive the worst of temperatures or weather conditions.
To conclude- this is one of the best camping axes for small to medium expeditions and regular or small chopping.
7. Gransfors Bruks Wildlife Hatchet
- Length with handle: 13.50 inch, Item-ID: 415
- Weight: 1.3 lbs
- The Length of the camping axe is 13.5 inches
- Constructed with proprietary steel developed in addition to Ovako
- Medium Weight of nearly 1.3 pounds
- The handle is a Clear hickory
As the saying or company motto goes, “There are axes, and then there are Gränsfors Bruk axes.” It is a top-quality, Swedish, handcrafted camping hathcet, which is far superior to the mass-produced axes. This axe is an investment for the generations to come.
This camping axe doesn’t believe in aesthetics- it’s as basic as an axe can get.
The handle is made of wood and not fibreglass or steel, and is coated with linseed oil and beeswax for comfortable grip and chop.
The balance and alignment of the handle with the head are steadfast hence it comes with a warranty of 20 years, which makes it one of the best camping hatchet.
To Conclude- It’s an expensive product with a price on a side which may make some squirm, but if you need a camping axe that is so durable and efficient that it could become an heirloom piece, this is the one you are looking at.
Recommended: Best Folding Knives for Camping, Backpacking, & EDC
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) Regarding Best Camping Hatchet
1. What is a camp axe used for?
Camping axes are mostly used to chop wood, trim branches and sometimes as a fire starter in the wilderness.
2. How do you sharpen an axe?
A camping axe is sharpened with the help of a coarse whetstone. The sharp edge is oiled with sewing oil and then rubbed on the stone on both sides.
3. How long should my axe handle be?
The length of a camping axe will depend on the usage. But as a general thumb rule, it should provide a firm grip and not slip from your hands.
You May Like: Best One Person Tents in 2020
There are numerous camping axes available in the market, but being able to own a great camping axe is a source of tremendous satisfaction. Once you find out what you need in your camping axe for, you can use the reviews and buying guide to decide upon the best camping axe for you.
If you are looking for a budget axe, then Estwing Camper’s Axe is the one for you if you are looking for a sound built and one without a budget then Gransfors Bruks Wildlife Hatchet is the one. The camping axe which is highly versatile is Yes4All Camping Axe with Saw.
Whether or not you are an old school hunter or you are a new adventurist, there is always your camping axe to choose from and go experience the wilderness and chop up some good’ol trees. Happy camping.
- 1 7 Best Camping Hatchets in 2020
- 2 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) Regarding Best Camping Hatchet
- 3 Conclusion