Everyday carry or EDC backpacks are essential for daily commuters and outdoor enthusiasts. They allow you to have all your clothing, toiletries, documents, and electronics in one bag. Such backs also add comfort and style to hauling your things around daily.
So, the best EDC backpacks on the Market are also as durable and ergonomic as they are secure and sturdy. You could even live off an EDC rucksack as most business travelers do with their suitcases. Sure, there are too many viable products to choose from. But, with a little help, you’ll be able to settle on the best EDC backpack for all your needs.
But first, let’s have a look at a few compelling reasons for you to go splurging on a new backpack.
Why Do You Need The Best EDC Backpack?
Regular backpacks can be hard on your back, sternum, shoulders, and entire body. This is especially true as they rest on your back for an entire day. It gets worse if you have to haul a bunch of stuff on every day. Are you facing such a challenge? Well, the best EDC backpacks can help you.
EDC backpacks feature compression and adjustment straps. Such features ensure the bag conforms to the smalls of your back. They also ensure there’s limited movement, sagging, and inertia as you move. They are so comfortable that you can even run while one is strapped to your back.
Do you have loads of gear, clothing, and other travel essentials? Keeping such things organized can be an uphill battle with regular raggedy rucksacks. Fortunately, EDC backpacks come with so many stash pockets and secret compartments. So, you can be organized even as you travel.
Traveling, even for short daily distances, can be risky. Regular rucksacks can’t match the security features of EDC backpacks. They come with sturdy YKK zippers, secret compartments, and secure closure systems that ensure random strangers can’t open your bag in crowded streets or transit terminals.
There’s a galaxy of reasons why you need the best EDC backpacks. We’re sure you can think of some even as you read this. So, let’s indulge you further with 11 of the best EDC backpacks on the Market.
Out Top Picks on the Best EDC Backpacks
- Best Commuter-friendly – Mystery Ranch Urban Assault
- Best For Photographing – Peak Design Everyday Backpack 20L
- Best Tactical Hydration – CamelBak HAWG Mil Spec Antidote Hydration EDC Backpack
- Best For Students – JanSport Big Student Backpack
- Best Minimalistic – Aer Fit Pack 2 Black EDC Backpack
- Best Casual Hiking – Topo Designs Mountainsmith Trippin Backpack
- Best Special Forces Inspired – ARMYCAMO Small 30L Military Tactical EDC Backpack
- Best Sport, Utility and Laptop – Under Armour Hustle 4.0 EDC Backpack
- Best For Cycling Commutes – Chrome Industries Bravo 2.0 commuter EDC Backpack
11 of the Best EDC Backpacks on the Market Reviewed
- Material: 330 Robic fabric
- Size: 20.25 x 10 x 8.75 inches, 2.1 lbs.
- Color(s): 4 choices
- Standout Features: secure yet easy to access compartments
Are you looking for something that’s military-grade yet not too tactical? Then the Mystery Ranch Urban Assault EDC backpacks are what you need. These travel backpacks come with a 15L capacity main compartment. They also feature two zero-fuss external pockets that allow you to organize your personal effects. The easy pull YKK zippers are as secure as they are easy to rip open.
If you run out of space, you can attach your gear to the PALS webbing that features the Mystery Ranch Urban Assault EDC backpack’s exterior. It features a padded 15-inch laptop compartment, which floats to the back and features a secure Velcro closure. Such a feature ensures all your documents and electronics are easy to access as you move from point to point.
- Robust YKK zippers
- Features a secret compartment
- Cushioning harness
- Available in 4 colors
- Lacks a water bottle holder
- Material: recycled nylon material
- Size: 16 x 10.75 x 1.5 inches, 2.9 lbs.
- Color(s): Charcoal, Black, Ash, Tan
- Standout Features: a practical diver compartment system explicitly designed for a camera operator’s EDC needs.
The Peak Design Everyday Backpack scores top marks for its subtle low-profile design and battle-hardened utility. It’s made of a sturdy recycled nylon material that’s hard to tear and water proof. Best of all is you can access every internal compartment from the 270-degree YKK zipper. This comes in handy for camera operators that need to carry loads of lenses and other gear.
The internal compartments feature a FlexFold divider. Such a feature makes it easy to configure this EDC backpack for your needs. It’s padded to offer adequate protection for your electronics and features a 15 inch padded laptop compartment. Such features make the Peak Design Everyday Backpack ideal for college students as well.
- Ingenious compartment system
- Features external lash for additional space
- Extra back padding
- Lacks padded shoulder straps
- Doesn’t stand when put down
- Material: 100% nylon shell, corduroy highlights
- Size: 1 x 1 x 1 inches; 5 Pounds
- Color(s): desert lizard camo, Multicam, black
- Standout Features: compact, low profile design, CamelBak compartment, and hygienic hydration bladder
Do you fancy yourself as an extreme hiker or outdoor survivalist? Then all you need is the CamelBak HAWG Mil Spec Antidote Hydration EDC Backpack. It features a 100 oz. Capacity hydration compartment with a secure sipping bladder. Such a capacity will see you even through hard days in the wilderness.
Just like the GORUCK GR1, it’s not only ideal for hikers but can also be a handy EDC backpack. It’s made from stain-resistant nylon and comes in exciting color choices. It’s padded with 10mm EVA foam for extra comfort on the shoulder straps. And, the interior features 55 mm cell foam padding to protect your gear and other travel essentials. It may be a bit on the small side, but you’ll find plenty of use for its 1,403 cubic inch capacity.
- Machine wash friendly
- Adjustable sternum straps
- Features CamelBak hydration chamber + drinking tube
- Few color options
- Unsuitable for large hauls
- Material: polyester, nylon & other recycled fabrics
- Size: 17.5 x 13 x 10 inches, 1.8 lbs.
- Color(s): 13 choices
- Standout Features: adjustable sternum strap for a body-conforming fit and external water bottle pocket
JanSport has a knack for producing the best EDC backpacks in the world. And, the JanSport Big Student Backpack is an excellent example. It comes in an exciting range of colors ideal for the modern digital student or professional. Such features include its cutting edge digital device compartments. You get a separate pocket for your phone, tablet, and even a slot for your ear buds or headphones.
Its 15-inch padded laptop compartment is detachable, so no stress when visiting a library. You even get a nylon-wedded pocket where you can slide in your water bottle. The YKK zipper and adjustment straps are durable. Moreover, the fabric is as durable as it is easy to clean and maintain. The only thing that comes close is the Aer fit Pack 2 Backpack.
- Separate compartments for everything
- Detachable laptop pocket
- TSA approved design
- Sleeve Unsuitable for laptops over 15 inches
- Too casual for some
- Material: 1680D Cordura ballistic nylon
- Size: 21.1 x 14.25 x 4.09 inches; 3.92 lbs.
- Color(s): Black
- Standout Features: Duraflex plastic hardware, quick access YKK zippers separate shoe compartment
Getting from point A to B is more fun when you have the Aer Fit Pack 2 Black EDC Backpack. It features a body-conforming compression system that reduces shoulder and back strain. Such a feature also ensures the Aer Fit Pack 2 Black EDC Backpack remains secure as you shuffle through a crowded airport or train terminals.
The Aer Fit Pack 2 Black EDC Backpack is simple yet sophisticated. So, you can match it to business or casual outfits. It comes with ample compartments for every travel need. Such include an ID. Sunglasses, phone, laptop, and pockets for all your accessories. It also features a separate shoe compartment so you can stash your trainers if you’d like to go for a run or jog between your excursions through the city.
- Amazing features
- Durable material construction
- Slick compartment system
- Available in one color
- Cumbersome compression strap system
- Material: 1000D nylon shell, 10D pack cloth liner
- Size: 11.5″ x 19″ x 7″ inches, 1 lbs.
- Color(s): wide selection
- Standout Features: attractive design trims and contour padded shoulder harness system
It helps to think of the Topo Designs Mountainsmith Trippin EDC Backpack as a minimalistic alternative for your roller suitcase. This 30L capacity EDC backpack comes with loads of compartments for all your travel essentials. You can cram it all in and breeze through the airport as it conforms to TSA standards.
It comes in various attractive shades of color that hit every spectrum of the rainbow. This Topo Designs EDC backpack has slots and compartments for everything you need as you commute. And, it even comes with a 13-inch laptop pocket that leaves plenty of room for your MacBook accessories. Best of all is the heavy-duty zipper guide features security loops to discourage any would-be pickpockets.
- Trusted USA brand
- Adequate compression
- Quality material construction and finish
- Sags when overloaded
- Feature loads of loose straps
- Material: 600 denier polyester
- Size: 16.5 x11 x 9 inches, 2.8 lbs.
- Color(s): Black, Gray & 5 Multicam Camo options
- Standout Features: adjustable/detachable shoulder strap, airflow padded cushioning.
This ARMYCAMO Small 30L Military Tactical EDC backpack bears all the markings of a Special Forces inspired Go bag. From its triple aught design, adjustment straps, and harnesses to more pockets and stash compartments than you may need. It also features a hydration pack meaning it is the ideal EDC backpack for those always on the go.
You can get this rucksack in a subtle gray or black color. It’s also available in 5 rustic camo patterns. This ARMYCAMO model has a 30L capacity for up to 3 days of clothing and other travel essentials. Its 600 denier polyester material makes it rugged and suitable for survival, combat, travel, and even military operations. The ARMYCAMO Small 30L Military Tactical EDC backpack comes with a 100% satisfaction and money-back guarantee. So, it’s the perfect gift for your friends, family, or even for yourself!
- Reversible zipper system
- 30L capacity
- Double stitched finishing
- Inadequately padded for some
- Too small for some
- Material: 84% Polyester, 16% Elastane
- Size: 19.3 x 13 x 9.5 inches, 1.33 lbs.
- Color(s): 43 choices
- Standout Features: superb choices and range of over 40 colors
You can never go wrong with any product from Under Armour. And, the Hustle 4.0 EDC Backpack holds to such a fact. It features quality materials brought together with attention to detail. This results in an ergonomically stable and aesthetically pleasing package. It fits like a bespoke coat that you can even boldly step into the rain because it features UA storm water-resistant tech.
The Under Armour Hustle 4.0 EDC Backpack is made with the utmost consideration for busy professionals and students’ needs. Such life-enhancing features include; a padded, silky lined laptop pocket, a shoe compartment, and loads of space for all your things. Sure, it may come at a premium price point, but it’s worth it since you can trust in anything made by Under Armour.
- Features water-repellant fabric
- Secure zipper closure
- Available in 43 colors
- Premium price point
- Too “bottom heavy” for some
- Material: Abrasion resistant 1050 denier nylon
- Size: 22 x 13 x 3 inches; 2.1 lbs.
- Color(s): all black & black with hints of navy blue
- Standout Features: custom push plate buckle on the sternum strap and highly water-resistant and abrasion-proof material
Chrome Industries makes the best EDC backpacks for the cycling community. The Bravo 2.0 could be the perfect bag for you if you value minimalism and understated elegance. It features abrasion-resistant nylon, which makes it highly resistant to wear and tear. The interior also features a waterproof tarpaulin lining that ensures spilled fluids don’t sip into your cargo. This is enhanced with welded seams all-round the bag.
This bag features a rolltop closure that’s secured with sturdy Velcro. Such a feature enhances its anti-theft qualities as you’ll notice any pickpocket that tries their luck. This 28L capacity rucksack comes with a 15-inch laptop compartment, exterior water bottle pocket, and loads of stash pockets. The best thing about the Chrome Industries Bravo 2.0 commuter EDC Backpack is that it comes with a lifetime guarantee.
- Adequate padding
- Strong Velcro closure
- Features external hooks
- Too slim (low-profile) for some
- Non-waterproof laptop compartment
Matein Slim Anti-Theft Travel EDC Backpack
- Material: 100% Polyester
- Size: 22 x 13 x 3 inches; 2.1 lbs.
- Color(s): 10 choices
- Standout Features: power bank pocket with USB port for charging your phone or tablet while on the move.
The Matein Slim Anti-Theft Travel EDC Backpack adds so much security and practicality to your everyday travel and tech needs. It comes with pockets for your phone and laptop, as well as all your cables and tech accessories. It even comes with a front pocket for your pens and other small items. Best of all is it comes with an anti-theft Compartment on the back where you can safely stash all your valuable items. It also has a built-in USB port that can help you charge your phone even as you walk.
The Matein Slim Anti-Theft Travel EDC Backpack is well ventilated and padded for optimum back support. It also has a square shape and a luggage strap that makes it easy to stack on top of suitcases. Such features make it ideal for meticulous students. It’s also an excellent Go bag for tech professionals that prefer having all their gear in one bag.
- Adequate number of pockets
- Agronomic design
- Plenty of storage space
- Small water bottle pocket
- Not absolutely waterproof
Brooks England Pickwick Leather EDC Backpack
- Material: 100% genuine leather
- Size: 22 x 13 x 3 inches; 2.1 lbs.
- Color(s): 5 executive choices
- Standout Features: made from 3.5 mm water-resistant Bluesign textured leather.
What’s the best way to cap our list of the best EDC backpacks? Well, with the best handmade Italian product. Brooks England Pickwick Leather EDC Backpacks are made using a century of quality craftsmanship. The manufacturer uses only the most refined vegetable oil tanned leather in producing these premium bags.
Style and functionality are understated for a professional touch of elegance. It features zero exterior pockets and a unique roll-top opening. The 26L interior has a simple laptop compartment and loads of space for your crucial business documents. The sternum straps lack padding. But they make up for this as they are secure enough to allow you to cycle to and from work without worrying about losing your essentials.
- Effortlessly elegant design
- Highly water-resistant
- Suitable for corporate users
- Premium price point
- Lacks exterior pockets and compartments
What Should You Consider When Shopping For The Best EDC Backpacks?
Here are a few considerations that will secure you from buyer’s remorse after taking your new EDC rucksack for a spin;
The construction material can give you the best hint on a product’s durability and ease of care. Nylon, polyester, and their blends make the best bags. This is because such materials have waterproofing qualities and produce lighter bags. Leather is another common material. Such bags usually came at a premium price point, as is the case with Brooks England Pickwick Leather EDC Backpacks.
A bag’s straps can be a deal-breaker. This is because you may need to carry your bag for hours every day, and your upper body may go through hell if the straps are chaffy. The best shoulder straps feature adequate moisture-wicking, padding, and ventilation. Such aspects ensure the weight of your precious haul less burdens you.
You’ll need to pick something that can keep your items secure while you’re on the go. Features to look for include;
- Sturdy, no-snag YKK zippers
- Heavy-duty buckles and clasps
- Deep and well-grooved Velcro strips
- rolltop closure systems
- compatibility with TSA approved locks
Color is a subjective choice that depends on your personal preference. But, it’s more about blending in than it is about making a bold fashion statement when it comes to EDC backpacks. Fortunately, some of the bags on the list, such as the Under Armour Hustle 4.0 EDC Backpack, come in an array of colors that would make a rainbow blush.
The beauty of most bags on the list is they offer more than just a main compartment. Some feature laptop sleeves, bottle holders, and more compartments than you may have used for. So, it may be wise to look around and consider what EDC items you need to stash in your bag to save you some stress.
Best EDC Backpacks: FAQs
1. What Should You Look For In An Everyday Carry Laptop Sleeve?
Getting an EDC bag with a laptop sleeve can save you from having to buy one. A laptop sleeve is also an essential consideration as your bag may slip or be exposed to water.
Here are a few questions to ponder before picking a laptop sleeve;
- Will my laptop fit into the laptop compartment or sleeve?
- Is it padded against the effects of heavy impact?
- Is it waterproof?
- Can I tear away the laptop sleeve from the main compartment?
The answers to such questions will guide you to the best choice.
2. How Do You Wash An Everyday Carry Backpack?
Every product on our list comes with care and washing instructions. And most of them are machine washable. However, you can also wash them in cold water and air-dry them in a shaded area. You can wash your bag every few months if you use it regularly. With such care, your bag will remain clean and may last for more years.
3. What Are The Main Types Of EDC Backpacks?
EDC backpacks come in various designs. So, it’s wise to consider how each design fits your needs. Here are a few choices, although some may not feature on our list.
Laptop backpacks make ideal options even for you don’t own a laptop. Such rucksacks feature a removable laptop sleeve or a built-in pocket. This allows you to safely stow and carry a laptop or any other fragile items.
Satchel bags make a very stylish choice, especially for fashion-conscious individuals. Sure, they get a funny reputation as messenger bags or man purses. But, they make handy Go bags for all your accessories and electronics. They match suits and office wear just as effortlessly as street clothing and casual wear to top it off.
Chunky purses make ideal EDC bags for women. The spacious main compartment can hold loads of clothing and other EDC items you may need while on the go. They also feature some padding and additional pockets. You can stash small items that can get lost while you travel. Such features make life easier, especially for mothers. They can also ensure a late-night rendezvous doesn’t turn into a long walk of shame.
Whoever said that you couldn’t carry all your eggs in one basket wasn’t talking about the Best EDC backpacks. As you can see, they add so much convenience to your everyday carry needs, and they come at reasonable prices. Of course, you may need to splurge a little on the premium brands. Your back balance may suffer, but it may save you from shoulder, back, and upper body aches.
So, now that you know all about the best EDC backpacks, you can head on over to Amazon and continue your journey through life more organized, healthier, and comfortable.
- 1 Why Do You Need The Best EDC Backpack?
- 2 Out Top Picks on the Best EDC Backpacks
- 3 11 of the Best EDC Backpacks on the Market Reviewed
- 3.1 Mystery Ranch Urban Assault
- 3.2 Peak Design Everyday Backpack 20L
- 3.3 CamelBak HAWG Mil Spec Antidote Hydration EDC Backpack
- 3.4 JanSport Big Student Backpack
- 3.5 Aer Fit Pack 2 Black EDC Backpack
- 3.6 Topo Designs Mountainsmith Trippin Backpack
- 3.7 ARMYCAMO Small 30L Military Tactical EDC Backpack
- 3.8 Under Armour Hustle 4.0 EDC Backpack
- 3.9 Chrome Industries Bravo 2.0 commuter EDC Backpack
- 3.10 Matein Slim Anti-Theft Travel EDC Backpack
- 3.11 Brooks England Pickwick Leather EDC Backpack
- 3.12 What Should You Consider When Shopping For The Best EDC Backpacks?
- 4 Best EDC Backpacks: FAQs
- 5 Verdict