Best Keychain Multi Tools: The beauty of life lies in its unpredictability. Whether you are there traveling on the highway or you are on a camping expedition deep in the mountains, nothing can be emphasized more than being prepared and equipped for the unpredictability and uncertainties that can meet you anytime. Gone are the days when first aid kits were the only thing needed, a multi-functional tool kit, that can be carried anytime and anywhere and has tools to perform the said tasks well is also vital.
For amateurs or those who have storage woes, there are various types of multi-tool available, of which keychain multi-tools are popular as they don’t let you compromise on functionality, and are strong and quality built. A keychain multi-tool is light enough to be carried everywhere in the pocket or attached to a backpack and neither do they take up much or any significant room.
What Precisely Defines A Keychain Multi Tool?
Any tool which has a ring to put the keys? Nah, not so. Nowadays all, or mostly all, including full size and heavy-duty multi-tools have a key ring. That doesn’t make them keychain multi tools.
Keychain multi-tools are those who fit into the micro multi-tool category or the 3 inches or less size category. Keychain multi-tools are basically engineered convenience. It can make any man, woman or young adults on their own alone prepared and empowered. Can something this small be functional? Let’s review some of the best keychain multi-tools and find out.
1. SOG MacV Tool SM1001
- MacV Tool is a versatile everyday carry, keychain tool that will prove handy in many situations
- Made out of durable 3Cr13 stainless steel
- A classic skull design of the MACV SOG group
- Has 12 workable Components or tools.
- Constructed by the 3Cr13 stainless steel material in hard cased black
- Micro-sized with length measuring 2.5-inch x 1.5-inch and weighing 0.6-ounces
The SOG MacV is a menacing multi-tool. With it’s cutting edge design and a powerful 12 tool construction, it is a tool that is not an inconvenience but a lifesaver. It’s a handy tool with two drivers- one small head and the other large head, a Philips screwdriver, three wrenches, nail puller, pry bar, bottle opener, quarter-inch hex bit, carbide sharpener and cord cutter.
There is something really powerful about their carbide sharpener. This will enable you to sharpen your knife on the go. The bottle opener is one which is better than a stand-alone, so it makes it a good feature even at home.
The absence of a blade and scissors is well felt though. It’s the best affordable keychain multitool out there in the market.
- It is a safe fly Tsa-compliant product
- It is heavy duty and durable with its Tough stainless steel construction
- This is an heirloom piece, Backed by a limited lifetime warranty
- No cons
2. Victorinox Swiss Army Manager
- As adept in the office as the great outdoors Key features: Includes a magnetic Phillips screwdriver and LED light
- Swiss made pocket knife with 10 functions: bottle opener, key ring, LED light, nail file, Phillips screwdriver 0/1, magnetic, pressurized ballpoint pen, scissors, screwdriver 25 mm, small blade, wire...
This is a brand that probably commercialized the multi-tool category. They have been around since the 1890’s. This iconic brand has an offering of an extremely lightweight, nearly over an ounce, multitool keychain called the Manager. It is a product which caters to people from all walks of life. It’s old school as it gets.
- This is possible to be personalized with an engraving.
- The length of this multi-tool is 2,28 inches with an extremely lightweight of 1,09 oz
- It includes these 12 basic tools – Blade. Scissors. Nail file, screwdriver 2, Cap lifter, screwdriver Phillips magnetic, wire stripper, a pen a Led Light white and a Keyring
This has a LED torch, which is quite a USP amongst keychain multi-tools, with changeable button batteries. It’s nearly weightless as compared to other multi-tools and is built so small that you will forget that you are even carrying it. The magnetic screwdriver is also an important feature because despite being small-sized, it helps in unscrewing a stubborn screw. This is a Jack of all trades multi-tool.
If you’re searching for the best keychain multi tool for screwdrivers, this is a great tool to choose from.
- The size and weight of it
- The LED light
- This can’t be used for more specific used without pliers.
3. Leatherman Squirt PS4 3
- READY FOR ANYTHING: The Squirt PS4 will make you wonder how you ever managed without it. This lightweight mini-tool comes in handy for everything from snipping fishing line to wrapping a birthday gift...
- FIT MORE FUNCTIONALITY: The Squirt PS4 is equipped with 9 tools, including a knife, pliers, screwdrivers, wire cutters, scissors, a bottle opener, and a file.
This is a reliable and dependable product which can do about everything from snipping a fishing line, to opening a bottle or ripping open gifts. The most defining feature here is a pair of pliers that aren’t easily available on other multi-tool keychains.
- This is a versatile and lightweight tool at 2 ounces.
- This keychain multi-tool packs in 9 tools, namely a knife, pliers, screwdrivers, wire cutters, scissors, a bottle opener, and a file.
- One-handed operational pattern.
- Lifetime warranty with a 25-year limited warranty which can be availed by just sending the product back to them.
This is handy, though slightly flimsy and small multi-tool, can totally be a savior when you need a plier.
4. Gerber Dime Mini Multi-Tool
- Sturdy stainless steel construction
- Compact, lightweight size fits perfectly in pocket - a daily companion for any task
By far the most popular and of the most highly rated entry-level multi-tool keychain, Gerber Dime is not just affordable but marries functionality and portability. At 2 ounces, it’s lightweight and small enough to be carried around.
- Constructed with Sturdy stainless steel material
- It packs in these 10 tools- Wirecutter, Needle nose spring-loaded pliers, Medium flat driver, Retail package opener, Bottle opener, Fine edge blade, Scissors, Crosshead driver, Tweezers, Bottle opener, File
- It has a butterfly opening
It also features in pliers and has a clamshell opening design to open it. The other tools are built into the handles and are mostly spring action. The modified sheepsfoot design on the knife is a sore let down though. It’s also not that well built.
- The Tweezers and a nail file
- Zip puller which helps broker zips
- There is a Bladeless version of this available.
- No cons
5. Leatherman Micra Multi Tools
- READY FOR ANYTHING: Our most popular mini-tool with anglers, hobbyists and anyone who appreciates the best spring-action scissors around; Perfect for tackle boxes, pockets, fanny packs and keychains
- 10 TOOLS IN 1: A knife, tweezers, file, spring-action scissors and more packed into a 1.8-ounce-keychain-sized multitool that never gives up
This is one product that can help you assemble a piece of furniture or tweeze your eyebrows! The versatility is its highest selling point.
- The Micra is a lightweight, versatile, tiny, Leatherman product that is beneficial for pockets, purses, tackle boxes, and keychains.
- This tool comprises a knife, Spring-action Scissors, nail cleaner, medium screwdriver, extra-small screwdriver, flat/Phillips screwdriver, tweezers, nail file, bottle opener, and a ruler.
- It is forever within reach as the Micra weighs about 1.8 ounces with a keyring.
- Lifetime guarantee on longevity with their 25-year limited warranty. All Leatherman multitools can be sent back to be repaired in the USA.
This product flaunts its craftsmanship and construction. The spring action scissors are quite a draw with it not just being user friendly but extremely functional. They have an attached tweezer which you can’t really loose and despite the tiny size and the products can be used quite well. Though a plier is missing in this product, it is still one of the finest keychain multi-tool available.
- 10 select and utility tools
- The nail filer attached
- No cons
6. Spyderco ClipiTool Folding Knife
- CLIPITOOL - A special family of tools that combine a high-performance cutting edge with the added convenience and functionality of other tools. They feature pocket clips for convenient carry and easy...
- MULTIFUNCTIONAL - Features a convenient folding bottle opener that also doubles as a flat-blade screwdriver
- Their prime feature is a pocket clip. This is a clip it tool.
- Has a folding bottle opener that can also double up as flat-blade screwdriver
- The knife has a smooth blade.
- A non-locking mechanism whereby a blade opens to the spring pressure when applied on the flat section on the back of the blades tang.
- At a carrying length of 2.57cm, the construction is with Blade Steel: 8Cr13MoV
- Best travel-friendly keychain multitool
This is a very straightforward and basic multitool keychain that fits into the palm of the hand. There is a knife, pocket clip, bottle opener and a screwdriver. It is of a non-locking mechanism.
- The construction with this material of steel
- Straight forward and uncluttered.
- No cons
7. Nite Ize Keychain Multi-Tool
- 5-IN-1 KEY CHAIN MULTI TOOL - Save the day with this multi tool that has an integrated bottle opener, scoring point, file, serrated edge, and a flathead screwdriver
- TRAVEL + AIRPORT FRIENDLY - The Nite Ize DoohicKey SkullKey Tool goes anywhere you go, with a compact design that clips to your key chain or fits in any pocket, pack, or bag, and is TSA-friendly
This tool looks basic, but packs in quite a punch.
- This has altogether 5 tools. Which are:- integrated bottle opener, file, scoring point, a flathead screwdriver, and a serrated edge.
- Constructed with durable steel
- Innovative Key shaped design which is TSA Friendly
- At 0.7 ounces, it is one of the lightest
At 2.6 inches in length, this will also fit anywhere, but it is so lightweight that you actually forget to be carrying it. It has a built-in carabiner which helps it clip onto a belt loop. It’s extremely easy to use, such that a novice can fall in use.
Even though it is missing a lot many features, it is still one to bank on for its weight and functionality.
- The innovative skull design
- The design of the ruler
- No cons
8. Gerber Bear Grylls Compact
- Ten components
- Compact and lightweight, fits on keychain or in pocket
This is a brand that can well battle it out with Leatherman for the top spot of keychain multitools.
- Ten tools make this up- includes two blades
- This is compact and weighs very less, fits on a keychain or in a pocket
- This has many external components
- A packed length 2.5 inches
This is a game-changing product where two blades are included. Both surprisingly are also full-sized. One is a fine edged blade, the other is a serrated blade. It is also equipped with needlenose pliers, Philips screwdriver, tweezers, two flatheads, wire cutters, a lanyard ring and a bottle opener. This is outside accessible, yet most of the tools are difficult to open. It’s not well constructed and neither seems very usable.
- External components
- Difficult to open the tools
- Flimsy and not easy to use
9. Hoffman Richter EDT 7 In
- 7 FEATURES IN ONE AMAZING TOOL - Needle nose pliers, wire cutters, can opener, small knife blade, serrated edge, a mini Philips head screwdriver, and a stays-in-place clip
- RUGGED CONSTRUCTION - The ultra-tough all-440 stainless steel construction ensures this multi tool lasts you a lifetime of use and abuse
The novelty of this tool is that it has a mini multiplier. That is when you grip it in your hands, the strength multiplies. This is a life-saving tool that can also double up as a self-defense tool.
- This has 7 tools in one. With Needle nose pliers, wire cutters, can opener, small knife blade, a serrated edge, a mini Philips head screwdriver, and a stays-in-place clip
- 440 stainless steel construction with the rugged feel
- Lifetime guarantee provided by Hoffman
This tool helps you explore a gamut of possibilities for tools. It not alone has pliers and drivers, it is equipped to deal with any kind of emergencies. The pliers are spring-loaded despite being small-sized.
- Powerful pliers and wire cutters
- The style, design and color which is unique
- Non-retractable Phillips driver
- Lack of a flathead screwdriver
10. Leatherman Style CS
- READY FOR ANYTHING: An ultra-portable, 1.4-ounce keychain tool with spring-action pliers, scissors, tweezers and more; Small enough to stash in your pocket or clip on your bag
- 6 TOOLS IN 1: Spring-action pliers, 420HC knife, spring-action scissors, flat and Phillips screwdriver, tweezers, nail file and combination carabiner and bottle opener
This is a clip-on multitool which features a spring-action scissor which is tucked away in it’s a unique design.
- It has 9 specific tools- spring-action scissors, Knife, flat and Phillips screwdriver, nail file, tweezers, and combination carabiner and bottle opener.
- Style CS’s outside-accessible tools give one the functionality of a pocket knife in a multitool.
- This is a compact-sized design that has less weight and key ring hole.k.
- Leathermans 25 years guarantee
This is a sporty multitool that has nearly 8 tools. The scissor is more useful than the pliers in this design. This is TSA compliant and for frequent flyers, this is a great tool to have on board.
- Well built and functional
- The pliers and scissors.
- No cons
Suggested Read: Leatherman Rebar Review: Heavy Duty or Multi-Tool?
FAQs Related To Best Keychain Multi Tools
1. What are the most likely uses of a keychain multi-tool?
It depends on you. How likely are you to be outdoors? Do you cycle, hike? Do you have kids who’re toys need constant repair? Whether you need scissors on the go or pliers. There are some basic needs and some needs which we don’t realize now, but when we have a multitool we feel their importance.
2. Price v/s brand, which is a better buying guide?
Most of the keychain multitools are different from the other. Buying for a brand following or loyalty will be a bad buy. Define your needs, check the build quality, the tools that it has, how it fits in your hand.
Note: A keychain multitool should cost you way less than a full-size tool, so always keep that in your mind. Weigh the cost with the warranty before making a purchase.
Also Check: Gerber Center-Drive Multi-Tool Review – 2020
Similar to a pocket knife but way more versatile, this keychain multitool is a trend that is here to stay. Foldable designs that are accompanied by some of the more regular use tools, which are robust and sturdy, they make life easier and even pass TSA checks.
If we were to choose the best, the Gerber Dime stands out for us. It is a composite tool, which is sturdy, anti-corrosive, airport friendly, does its job well. For a simpler choice, you can go for a Leatherman Style CS product or the VictoriKnox Swiss Army.
- 1 What Precisely Defines A Keychain Multi Tool?
- 1.1 1. SOG MacV Tool SM1001
- 1.2 2. Victorinox Swiss Army Manager
- 1.3 3. Leatherman Squirt PS4 3
- 1.4 4. Gerber Dime Mini Multi-Tool
- 1.5 5. Leatherman Micra Multi Tools
- 1.6 6. Spyderco ClipiTool Folding Knife
- 1.7 7. Nite Ize Keychain Multi-Tool
- 1.8 8. Gerber Bear Grylls Compact
- 1.9 9. Hoffman Richter EDT 7 In
- 1.10 10. Leatherman Style CS
- 2 FAQs Related To Best Keychain Multi Tools
- 3 Conclusion