The technology of television has evolved since its early days using a mechanical system invented by Paul Gottlieb Nipkow in 1884. Improvements have been made since that time, and today television technology is in the midst of considerable change. Technology has made many aspects of life easier for people living in rural and remote areas.
Applications that support instant communication and connection along with devices and machines that reduce the reliance on the city or urban-based facilities are some of the solutions that improve daily living.
The present age has been rightly termed as the “information age”. Now people want authentic and adequate information as early as possible. The mass media namely newspapers, television, radio, and the internet are catering to this important need of people. The right TV antenna for you depends on where you live and what you watch, and you will probably have to test multiple antennas to find your perfect fit.
In the new era, modern indoor TV antennas are rapidly replacing cable TVs. They are surely an effective way to replace your own costly cable TV subscription, which would help you to watch your favorite TV shows and sports at almost negligible prices when compared to hefty cable TV subscriptions.
Even in the rural areas, you can grab a TV antenna with long-range signal reception and watch all your TV shows with excellent picture quality. Do you want to own such a thing and put some burden off your pocket?
Indeed if you look into the current supply, you will think it’s impossible to make a sound decision. That’s why we did some digging and we chose ten TV antennas which we believe would be the best choice for your home. Now, we must underline that we are not favoring any of these products. We just hope to give you enough data so that you can make an informed decision.
1. Pingbingding HDTV Antenna Amplified Digital Outdoor Antenna
- 150 Miles Long Range and Dual TV Outputs --Full HDTV support 720p, 1080i, 1080p | Working Frequency: VHF 170 - 230MHz | UHF 470 - 860MHz | Receive free digital broadcast high definition TV signals....
- Snap-On Installation--Snap On Elements no tools required. Comes with an easy-to-follow user manual so you can install the antenna with ease.
This is a weather-resistant antenna for outdoor use including lightning protection and durable design. The antenna comes with a 40Ft coax cable. The mounting pole includes UHF, VHF and 1080P snap-on installation. This is an HDTV amplified TV antenna with a motorized 360- degree rotation with wireless remote control.
You can enjoy high definition television without the high cost of cables or satellites. The antenna has an easy installation method such that no tools are required for putting it together. It comes with an easily followed user manual that makes it easy to assemble. It provides great picture quality even in rural areas. The 50-mile range for antenna means that it stands good for rural areas.
2. Mohu ReLeaf Indoor TV Antenna
- ABSOLUTELY FREE HDTV FOR LIFE: World's first recycled HDTV antenna: Made using plastic from 100% recycled cable set-top boxes to minimize our environmental impact wasting less energy resources and...
- CRYSTAL CLEAR HDTV: Now tested to reach up to 30 miles ReLeaf can access HD Over-the-Air TV channels without a cable or satellite subscription including ABC CBS NBC PBS Fox Univision and more. 75 ohm...
For TV viewers ready to ditch their cable or satellite bill without giving up local channels, the Mohu Releaf is a top-notch indoor HDTV antenna for under $40. The simple design makes for easy installation, and the 30-mile antenna pulled in an impressive 62 channels in the testing offering better reception than even some amplified antennas.
Made of recycled packaging and crushed cable boxes, it’s also the most eco-friendly antenna, but the real reason to buy is the combination of a non-fuss design and top-notch performance. Often, going green means compromising on performance.
The Mohu Releaf proves that doesn’t have to be the case as it delivers category-leading performance with excellent reception and simplicity of design. So, now you will feel good not only about the money you’ll save but also about how you are helping to save the planet.
3. Clearstream 2Max TV Antenna
- Best performance among all Antennas rated in the 60 Mile category [note: location, obstructions, and building materials affect reception]
- Receive free TV from networks like ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, CW, PBS, Univision, MeTV and more in full HD 1080 where available
When you need something with a really long-range, the Clear Stream 2MAX is a strong and flexible indoor/outdoor HDTV antenna that reliably pulls in a variety of stations. The figure-eight –shaped offers a 60-mile range and solid performance, so you don’t have to place it near a power outlet.
This antenna is tough enough to use outdoors. Its design makes a bold statement but it also contributes to its ability to lock into signals. While this non-amplified antenna offers decent performance compared to other indoor antennas, the outdoor capability lets you mount the antenna where the signal is strongest, beyond the obstacles posed by walls and furniture.
The antenna comes in with both a tabletop stand for indoor use and an outdoor mast and bracket for mounting on a roof or exterior wall. The Clear Stream 2x may not win any awards for aesthetics, but it is capable and built to handle outdoor installations.
4. Safstar 360 Rotor Digital Remote Controlled HDTV Antenna
- Work in any rural or suburban area,easy and convenient installation
- Powerful performance in receiving capability, Reception range up to 100 km ( 62 Mile) from the signal towers
This is a digital remote controlled HDTV amplified outdoor TV antenna. The range of 62 miles this antenna provides so that it is good for most rural areas. It is designed for convenient and easy installation and high receiving capability. The antenna is designed for VHF/UHF channel reception with an integrated signal amplifier.
The Safstar 360 rotor does a much better job of picking up TV signals assuring you a clear image with low noise sound. Its solid-state construction makes it waterproof and durable. The rotational ability of the antenna means you can point it in any direction to improve the signal quality.
5. 1Byone Amplified TV Antenna
- Free for Life - Never pay expensive cable or satellite fees again! 1byone TV Antenna can pull in all of your local news, weather, sitcoms, kids and sports programs absolutely FREE.
- High Performing Slim Design - Slim, soft and lightweight so you can hide it behind the TV, lay it flat on the table or stick it high on a window (with durability against moisture and direct sunshine)....
For a simple, indoor antenna that offers everything you need to cut the cord, the 1byone Amplified Indoor HDTV Antenna offers a 50-mile range(which of course depends on the terrain and any barriers that may block the signal) and included amplifier, all for a fairly reasonable price.
This antenna includes everything you need to connect to the TV, with a 10-foot coaxial cable, which should give you enough maneuvering room to set the antenna up to catch a proper signal and include adhesive patches for mounting.
The simple design and included amplifier delivered dozens of watchable channels and can plug into any wall outlet. The 1byone is an inexpensive and capable antenna with all the requisite components.
6. Winegard Elite Outdoor VHF/UHF HDTV Antenna
Sometimes an indoor antenna just won’t cut it. When you need an outdoor antenna with excellent reception, The Winegard Elite 7550 is the smart option. If you are having difficulty getting local stations you want-or you just want better, more consistent reception-then this antenna is worth every penny.
This antenna is more attractive than typical outdoor antennas. With its multiple metal-bar protuberances and hourglass-shaped plastic facade, the Elite is unlikely to garner accolades for its appearance.
The antenna includes an LTE filter the company says is specifically designed to fight interference from cell towers. It also has a low noise preamp embedded in the antenna and an in-line amp with a 3-foot USB power cable and adapter.
It also includes a mounting pole and foot bracket for securing it to a roof or other exterior structure. Being an efficient antenna, the Winegard Elite 7550 does a great job doing what it’s supposed to do – receiving as many local TV broadcasts as possible.
7. Channel Master CM-4228HD High VHF, UHF and HDTV Antenna
- Enjoy the Most Popular HDTV Channels and Your Favorite TV Shows for Free with no Subscription Fees
- Supports Uncompressed 1080i HDTV Broadcasts for the Highest Quality Video and Audio Available (Better than Cable & Satellite)
This is a multidirectional TV antenna. It will receive broadcast signals at the reception angles of up to 180 degrees. However, you will have to point it in the direction of the transmitting station. It has a strong reception, so it will be able to pick up stronger signals coming to its sides. This antenna can work with both digital and analog TV receivers, but you will need a converter for the analog one.
What’s more? You can safely link more than one TV to EXTREMEtenna without any noticeable difference in sound and image quality. When it comes to its signal range, users report excellent reception even in mountainous areas. Depending on the location of the transmitting stations, you might need a signal boost to improve your reception.
8. Vansky Outdoor OTA Amplified HD TV Antenna for 2 TVs Support
- Dual TV outputs -- outdoor TV antenna support 2 TVs at the same time without a splitter. No special adapter needed. Don't bother to buy another HDTV antenna.
- 150 Mile range | HDTV reception -- HD antenna can capture 1080p HDTV and 32dB high Gain reception within 150-mile range, working frequency: VHF 40300MHz | UHF 470890MHz.
It is a best seller of Vansky Outdoor HDTV Antenna. One reason the Vansky Outdoor Antenna takes this prize is its price, being the most economical antenna on the list. Vansky Antenna series is designed to provide the solution to get more and good free channels and broadcast for your free TV entertainment.
It is truly a Marvel for its price with a motorized 360 degree rotating remote controlled mount. It is the perfect solution for any rural or suburban area. Outdoor TV antenna can be an omnidirectional receiving signal with 360-degree rotation. This antenna has a control box that supports two TVs while receiving UHF, VHF and 1080P channels.
The Vansky Outdoor HDTV Antenna has a durable weather-resistant design grounded lightning protection. What puts it over the top for best TV antennas for rural areas is its 150-mile range at such a low price.
9. ViewTV Outdoor Amplified Digital HDTV Antenna
- 150 Miles Range | Receive free digital broadcast High Definition TV signals | Full HDTV Support: 720p, 1080i, 1080p
- Working Frequency: VHF 40~300MHz | UHF 470~890MHz | Wireless remote controller
This antenna has an adjustable 360-degree rotation with wireless remote control. This antenna is capable of receiving VHF and UHF. The control box has outputs for two TVs. This antenna is weather-resistant, grounded lightning protection and durable construction.
Its 150-mile range makes this antenna good for rural areas. It can receive HD and full HD signals irrespective of obstructions around it. The working frequency is 400 to 300 MHZ and therefore, you can expect to get different genres of TV channels on your TV. Moreover, it comes with a wireless remote controller. In fact, you can run two TVs, hence always profitable and welcoming if you have multiple family members.
The best part of the antenna has to be its waterproof property. The package contents are wireless remote, power supply adapter, coax cable, but the mounting pole is not available. The company offers a year warranty and a 60-day money-back guarantee.
10. Antennas Direct 8-Element Bowtie TV Antenna
- The Most Powerful 8-Element Bowtie Antenna Available - 70 Mile Range [NOTE location obstructions and building materials affect reception] UHF 470 MHz to 698 MHz US Channels 14 - 69
- Receive free TV from networks like ABC CBS NBC Fox CW PBS Univision MeTV and more in FullHD 1080 where available
This is an indoor and outdoor HDTV antenna. It is designed to work with UHF channels. It is a highly directional antenna, but it has two separate directional units. They can be turned independently but they have to be adjusted manually.
This antenna is a multipurpose antenna that provides flexibility as well as easy installation. It is good for areas in different directions. This antenna comes with an all-weather mounting system and set up instructions.
Utilizing patented technology to receive TV signals 70 miles away, the specially designed brackets allow the two panels to target broadcast towers in multiple directions. The DB8e is ideal for rural areas where heavy foliage or roofing materials reduce the incoming signal. No other extreme range bowtie antenna can match its performance.
You May Like: Best Crossbow Broadhead for Deer
How to choose the best TV antenna for rural areas – Guide
Using a simple antenna, you can start receiving local OTA TV broadcasts that look as better than cable or satellite TV. The main factors determining reception are the distance and direction of the TV station transmitters to your home.
The transmitter’s power and height of its tower also matter. If you live within a few miles of the transmitter and the signal path is relatively unobstructed, you may be able to get solid reception using a small indoor antenna. But as you move farther away, getting usable signal strength becomes trickier. This is where careful antenna selection and installation become essential. Keep in mind that even in the same neighborhood reception conditions can vary from house to house. So I recommend purchasing an antenna from a dealer who offers hassle-free returns with a money-back guarantee.
Following are some other deciding factors that should be looked into before buying a TV antenna:
VHF and UHF:
The main difference between VHF and UHF antennas is the size. Antenna elements are based on the size of the waves they are designed to receive and VHF frequencies are lower so the waves are longer, requiring a larger antenna surface to receive them.
Directional vs. Anti-directional TV antennas:
Directional antennas are designed to receive signals from one direction, while anti-directional antennas are designed to receive signals from multiple directions. If the transmitters are positioned less than 20 degrees apart then prefer a directional antenna otherwise an anti-directional antenna is the best option.
Amplified vs. non-amplified antennas:
One way to help TV signals overcome size or height disadvantages is by amplifying the signal. Most experts recommend only using an amplifier if you need to.
Best TV Antenna for Rural Areas FAQ Answered:
1. What is the best TV antenna for rural areas?
The best TV antenna for rural areas is the Antennas Direct Clearstream 4MAX TV Antenna C4MVJ. This antenna from Antennas Direct is a great all-round performer as it can work well as an attic, indoor and outdoor antenna, with a 70-mile range. The outdoor antenna is weatherproof, suitable for all seasons.
2. What is the best outdoor TV antenna for rural areas?
The best outdoor TV antenna for rural areas is the Winegard Elite 7550. A more-than-able antenna, the Winegard Elite 7550 does a great job doing what it’s supposed to do; receiving as many local TV broadcasts as possible.
3. What is the best indoor TV antenna for rural areas?
The best indoor TV antenna for rural areas is the 1byone Amplified HDTV antenna. It is an inexpensive and capable antenna with all the requisite components.
4. What is the best antenna for a TV without cable?
The best antenna for a TV without cable is Winegard FlatWave Amped (model FL-5500A). It comes with state of the art features, easy setup and offers a decent reception range to allow you to watch your favorite channels and is ideal for areas with robust and medium reception. It’s an excellent choice for people living in places with restricted spaces to mount outdoor antennas.
5. How can I get better TV reception in rural areas?
First, you want to make sure that you have the right antenna for the job, and you will want to make sure that it has enough range to reach the TV signals in the first place. Try to at least stick your antenna in a window or mount it to a wall somewhere around the perimeter of your house. That way you will have the least interference possible from stuff around your house.
If the broadcast signal towers are located northeast of your location, then you would want to place your antenna in the northeast corner of the house and try to point the antenna in that direction. Mount your antenna as high as possible. If you live in a rural area where broadcast signals are far away, you might consider getting an antenna that comes with an amplifier.
It’s important to understand that no one antenna or antenna type will deliver excellent TV reception in every location. Careful TV antenna selection is needed if you live greater than 40 miles away from the broadcast towers. Ideally, you are situated on a signal path that is largely unobstructed, however, if this is not the case be sure to read the reviews above carefully in order to select an antenna that is suitable for your geographic location.
Before you go off to Amazon and buy your shiny new antenna, an important first is learning what signals you can receive at your home and how strong those signals are. Another important aspect is the direction the signals are coming in. Why should you pay for the local channels when you can watch them for free? You can choose any of the listed best indoor TV antennas depending on your requirements.
- 1 1. Pingbingding HDTV Antenna Amplified Digital Outdoor Antenna
- 2 2. Mohu ReLeaf Indoor TV Antenna
- 3 3. Clearstream 2Max TV Antenna
- 4 4. Safstar 360 Rotor Digital Remote Controlled HDTV Antenna
- 5 5. 1Byone Amplified TV Antenna
- 6 6. Winegard Elite Outdoor VHF/UHF HDTV Antenna
- 7 7. Channel Master CM-4228HD High VHF, UHF and HDTV Antenna
- 8 8. Vansky Outdoor OTA Amplified HD TV Antenna for 2 TVs Support
- 9 9. ViewTV Outdoor Amplified Digital HDTV Antenna
- 10 10. Antennas Direct 8-Element Bowtie TV Antenna
- 11 How to choose the best TV antenna for rural areas – Guide
- 12 Best TV Antenna for Rural Areas FAQ Answered:
- 13 Conclusion: